Sunday, March 30, 2008

Goat or No Goat


We have been thinking about it for awhile. It is baby goat season. We want a goat. The problem is whether or not we really want a goat! :>) Here are the positives we were thinking. First, the milk. We have learned that we will get 1 gallon of goat milk a day! The milk is supposed to be so much better for you than homogenized cows milk. There are a lot of benefits to drinking fresh raw milk. That would be a great plus. Second, a pet. Molli has wanted a pet for a long time. She writes about our pet goat at school and just can't wait to get one. I would love to give the kids that experience. I think it would be great for them to have something to take care of. Don't worry, I know it will really be Lance and I taking care of it but I must say I have a big soft spot in my heart for those kids in the 4H club with all their pet goats they take care of. Third, we have the yard for it. We will also have the yard for it in Benson if we ever move. Last, it would fulfill my need to be a farmer. :>) Between the garden and the goat I think I could officially satisfy my redneck ways!

Now the pitfalls to owning a goat. Well first we would own a goat. It would be hard to leave anywhere because we would have a pet. Oh yea! We don't ever go anywhere! I guess that wouldn't be a problem. Next, building the shed and getting the yard ready. Yes we have the yard for it but I would have to protect my garden and everything else so the goat wouldn't find it to be a tasty treat. Lance would have to build a shed and bed and other goat stuff. I guess it just depends on if Lance is willing to put the effort into it. I guess it is nice that he can whip stuff like that out. Lastly, we wouldn't get milk for a year. We would have to get a goat, then get it pregnant, then milk it after it had a baby.

Well we will let you know what we decide. It is nice that the Carlings live so close. They are sure to give us pointers. I think it will just depend on the day too. The goats will be born in two weeks. Till then. I will let you know what we decide.

2 comments:

djhuntsman said...

that sounds like fun. they goat would also eat your grass so maybe you wont have to mow the lawn so much. I really dont know much about it. I have been in the mood to get a pet lately. probably cause we have so much space now and cause Addy loves animals. but I doubt I will get one.

Colette said...

Hey, maybe if I comment you will know that people are reading your blog and you will post again!! I think a goat sounds like quite an adventure!! We want a dog but will wait until we have more land, I really hope that is soon.