Sunday, October 28, 2012

Lincoln

 
It is time to talk about my sweet Lincoln.  Things seem to be coming around for Lincoln.  He is enjoying his 3rd grade year much more than his 2nd.  Last year he went to Bridger and although his teachers were really great, the atmosphere with the kids wasn't so great.  Then you add on the long bus ride to and from school everyday and it made for a very long year.  Lincoln and I rejoiced when 2nd grade was finished.  Ms.Angie (One of Lincolns teachers) decided that Lincoln should go back to Wilson Elementary for 3rd grade.  I was extremely nervous.  Ms.Angie had been a rock in Lincoln's education for 1st and 2nd grade.  The thought of having Lincoln try to go more mainstream really made me nervous.

Once again I was worrying way too much!  Wilson has been a great blessing for Lincoln.  He loves going to the same school as his brothers. He loves riding his bike to school with Dad in the mornings.  He loves being close to home. The kids at Wilson are very sweet and accepting.  The teachers have really stepped up and work closely with Lincoln whenever he needs anything.  It is really going well.

This past spring Lincoln was diagnosed with PDD-NOS.  I have always gotten a lot of conflicting info about Lincoln and how we should help him.  I was worried about having an official diagnosis.  However that too has been nothing but a blessing.  Before the diagnosis, Lincoln was really having a hard time dealing with the fact that he was behind the other kids in certain areas.  With a diagnosis I was finally able to explain to Lincoln that he just learns and thinks differently than other people.  Lincoln was so relieved.  He knows that all Lance and I expect from him it to try.  That is exactly what he does.  Lincoln always works and tries hard.  I am so amazed when I watch him studying or reading.  I am so proud of the continued effort that he puts into his school work.  Everything seems so much harder for him than for the other kids, yet he gives it his best.  I couldn't ask for more.  So even though this diagnosis is hard on one hand, it really is a blessing.  A few words or labels aren't going to change the facts about our every day life, but it will help us to know the best way to help Lincoln.  I attribute our better year to this diagnosis as well.

Lincoln continues to take gymnastics with Ms. Angie.  Lincoln seems to like it much more this year.  He wants to be very strong like his dad and he knows that working at gymnastics will help him with that. He likes to perfect his round offs at home. 

He has really been having fun playing football outside.  He is so proud of himself for being able to play ball so well with the family.  He practices a lot!  Every day after school he has been going outside and working on his football skills.  It is just another reason we all think Lincoln is so awesome.  Hand-Eye coordination is a very hard thing for Lincoln, yet he continues to work hard and improve at his football skills.  When he can get the family to play a quick game of football then he is in heaven! 


I love my Lincoln so much!  I love listening and talking to Lincoln. He is full of so many questions, that I wish I knew the answer to.  Maybe one day I will.  The problem is that most of the questions he asks I would never have thought of.  So then to find the answer seems even harder! :)   Lincoln deals with me though and just enjoys spending time with me.  He makes me feel very loved.  Lincoln continues to have a special connection with Molli.  They truly are best of friends.  Love ya Lincoln!

No comments: